Frequently Asked Questions
Cost-effective horse trailer hire in the South East
LOC Horse Trailer Hire provides a complete service for those wanting to hire a horse trailer, from
a single day through to an entire season.
If you have any questions about our horse trailer hire service, please don't hesitate to get in touch
with us, and we will be happy to talk you through our service. However, some of the more common questions
we are asked are detailed below:
Q: What are the tow vehicle requirements?
- Tow vehicles must be well maintained 4x4's, with current MOT and insurance
- Tow vehicles need to be fitted with 50mm ball and seven pin 12 volt universal wiring
- The vehicle must meet government and manufacturer regulations for towing the anticipated laden
weight of the trailer.
Q: Do I need to pay a deposit?
- A deposit of £100 is required in cash upon collection of the trailer. Your deposit is held on file
for cleaning and minor damages.
Q: What insurance do I need
- It is the Hirer's responsibility to ensure that your vehicle insurance is valid for towing the
trailer. The trailer must only be towed by the specified vehicle driven by person/s covered by that
Q: If I take a short term lease and want to keep it for longer is this possible?
- Of course! Please liaise with us as to your requirements and providing we have no other
prior booking we will gladly extend your agreement for as long as you need it.
Q: Do you offer breakdown cover?
LOC have teamed up with Equine Rescue Services to offer cover if your car breaks down whilst towing
a trailer. Their Equine Trailer Assistance ensures you receive the best possible breakdown cover 24/7
emergency support, 365 days a year.
If your vehicle can't be fixed at the roadside, Equine Rescue Services will always provide FRESH HORSE TRANSPORT
to take your horses anywhere in the UK. So for complete peace of mind when travelling with horses contact Equine
Rescue Services on 01300 348 997.
Q: Do I need a trailer number plate?
- Yes, you can obtain a square plate from outlets such as Halfords at a nominal cost. It
is the hirer’s responsibility to put a number plate which matches in full that of the vehicle
that is towing the trailer, which the Hirer must ensure is displayed on the trailer at all times.
Q: What information do I need to bring with me?
- The Hirer must provide as identity a Valid Driving License (both parts), Valid Insurance
Certificate for the tow vehicle and 2 current Household Bills, with the same address.
Q: To hire or to buy a trailer?
- Opinion is often divided as there are pros and cons to both options.
However, just like buying a car it is a case of you get what you pay for so it’s worth setting
aside as much as you can. You should be aware also that it is important to keep your trailer well
maintained and serviced regularly so please bear those costs in mind when setting your budget.
Many people choose to hire trailers as they prefer the flexibility of hiring over the initial
outlay and ongoing maintenance costs entailed in buying one. We find that a lot of our customers
simply don’t have the space to park a trailer all year round and so hiring one as and when they need
to travel their horses is ideal.
Q: What does it cost to buy your own trailer?
- New trailers can cost well over £5,000 and a used trailer in good condition anything
over £1,500 so the initial outlay can be substantial.
Service and maintenance costs can also add up, not to mention the need to find a secure
space to park the trailer when not being used.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.